Frequently Asked Questions

A township in Minnesota is a form of government between the county and city level. Townships are approximately 36 square miles and may contain cities or towns.


“Townships are the original form of local government in Minnesota…


The township form of government…generally refers to organized but unincorporated communities governed by a local board of supervisors and created to provide services to their residents–building and maintaining roads, schools, and having a Justice of the Peace–providing a sense of community to residents.” (excerpt from retrieved Sep 23, 2021)

There are several ways to get involved:

  1. Participate in monthly and/or annual meetings
  2. Notify supervisors of any concerns
  3. Residents only:  vote in elections, discuss and vote on budget items at the annual meeting, or run for office
  4. Participate in the Aquatic Invasive Species program

The monthly meetings deal with the day-to-day business and operation of the township. Agenda items include (but are not limited to):  the treasurer’s report, financial issues, road issues, zoning issues, land use permits, and citizens’ concerns. 

The annual meeting looks back at the previous year and makes broad decisions for the upcoming year. Agenda items include (but are not limited to):  financial report, vote on the proposed tax levy, vote on charitable contributions, and aquatic invasive species program. A newsletter precedes the meeting which provides background data.

First point of contact is always the supervisor listed for the particular road. Road assignments and contact information is on the staff directory page

If unable to reach the supervisor, second point of contact is the chairman or another supervisor.

In cases of emergency and unable to reach any supervisor, contact the road contractor.

Yes, land use permits are required for areas outside of 1000’ of any shoreline.  Please consult the zoning page for the ordinances and permit application.  Permits for projects within 1000’ of the shoreline are handled by Hubbard County.

For issues outside of 1000’ from shoreline, contact the appropriate township supervisor, the zoning administrator, or bring the issue to the attention of the board at a monthly meeting.  For issues inside of 1000’ from the shoreline, contact Hubbard County Environmental Services.

Since 2012, the township has funded AIS inspection hours for Spider, the three Crooked, Ojibway, and Big Mantrap lakes.  The treasurer also acts as the liaison between lake associations contributing AIS funding and Hubbard County Dept of Environmental Services.

No, the township hall is only used for official township business.

Send the request to the township clerk [email protected].  The board will review the request, and, if approved, determine any fees necessary for road repair.